Sunday, December 12, 2010

Kindness and Generosity

For a bitterly angry malcontent I have found that one can still be a positive person who is pleasant to be around. I generally try to keep peace in my heart, happiness in my thoughts, kindness in my words and generosity in my actions, when I am dealing directly with people. When I find myself motivated to write, I typically have a burning desire to express what is keeping me from the four things I listed. I am trying to spend a little more time writing with I have these aspects in order. That being said I will now begin with the rant that has been building up for the weekend.

I have a definite problem with people who gather in protest at another person's funeral. Regardless of what the reason this is the one place that someone should never bring anger. I am especially upset about this when the group is organized in the name of their church or religion. There have been many protest taking place at funerals in the last year and it has to end. Protesting someone else's choices in life is a really bad idea at any point as long as it brings no harm to another. Choices are exactly that and nobody should be condemned for them. This last such protest was attempted at the funeral of a woman that had been very public with her personal battles including breast cancer. I didn't bother to try to find out what the issue they were attempting to protest was but I have hope for the group that made a human chain to block them from doing what they intended.

A quote from a favorite movie of mine, Oh Brother Where Art Thou, "Nothing like hard times to flush the chumps". It seems that when unemployment is at it's highest is also when insanity is at it's peak as well. Perhaps the nuts don't act out as much when they are at their job or are too tired to act out. The society is bound to it's black and white thinking and not allowing for many shades of gray. The unwillingness to find a mutually agreeable solution for problems has gotten to the worst it has been that I have knowledge of with the exception of the events leading to the Civil War. I am really sad that groups form at a church and bring hate to others as much as it makes me sad that the poorest people seem to be the most concerned about a tax increase on the wealthiest people. I find a lot of conflict in trying to resolve the differences I am seeing projected these days.

I often wonder how the world would be if everyone spent 1 day a week trying to have the four aspects I mention earlier. After all, it is a choice which attitude one has and attitudes spread like a wild fire. It takes someone willing to let go of their own negativity and to have the inner strength to not be brought down by their surroundings. I understand anger and hate very well, well enough that I try to keep it from taking over my life and causing me to do things I regret. I find I have no regrets when I speak with kindness and act with generosity. Even on the occasion that someone takes advantage of my generosity, I am able to stay focused on where the generosity comes from rather than how it was received. If you can find peace in your heart, the rest is easy to follow through with. Finding peace was a very long road for me but today am can say I know as much about being happy as I do about being angry and the choices involved with both.

2 comments:

  1. You've been gone awhile, you OK there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for asking Lucy. I have been being lazy with the colder weather. I will get back to writing soon I hope, that is if I can get my mind a little more active.

    ReplyDelete