I have spent a great deal of my life trying to improve my behavior. I am a well behave person for the most part but I do not like the way react to some situations or I at least do not like the results of the reactions. Over the years I have developed a process that works great if I am feeling pretty balanced and I am able to sometimes catch the behavior before it happens. With the recent events in my life I have realized that it is time for me to clear of my schedule and refresh my process a little.
The method I use requires learning to separate instincts from emotions. The emotions come out as part of the reaction behavior but the reaction itself is triggered by instincts. As children we develop our response patterns based on our instinctual reactions to situation we encounter. Most of those stay with us for a very long time if not our whole life. Some of them we are able to adjust through experience of living. Others hinder our abilities to move forward in our behavioral development.
Instincts are meant for us to survive and to prosper. There are a lot of times that these instincts become distorted and this is when our behaviors become irrational. The main list that most people are good to focus on are the instincts around the seven deadly sins. This is why they call them sins but it is more about the instincts that become distorted that causes them to be that way. There are healthy levels of these instincts that are important to our existence. When they begin to govern our behavior and not allowing us to have a choice, it has become distorted.
I would write another 10,000 words on the topic but I actually need to go work on some of this and see if I can find a way to make some improvements in who I am.
No comments:
Post a Comment