Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Post Election Post

Now that the election is over I'm hoping to find something else to amuse myself with. The results of the election is going to be analyzed until everyone is unhappy with the new guys. All of the people that appeared on my ballot who I voted for won, so technically everything that is within my realm is good. Seeing how some of the other states came out, I have my concerns about where we are going next with this bunch of nuts. We have a considerable amount of people that are new to governing that will be taking some important roles. Seems like a few years ago there was a lot more who had actually studied law or political science, now it seems the most popular have never even read a book. The thing that keeps me from getting upset about the whole situation is that I know we are a strong country and we can get through what ever mess they come up with.

Enough about the politics. About a year ago I bought the Rosetta Stone program for learning French as I was preparing for a trip to Montreal last year. I got far enough along that I was able to understand a little and order food and now it seems to have all faded from my memory. I keep thinking that I need to go back and try to finish  learning the language, thinking that I would be able to expand my vocabulary or find a better way to say a few things. I fear the downside would be that if I don't use if often then I will not be able to retain much. Secretly I think I just want to learn how to swear in French because it seems to be so much more expressive, or it at least sounds more civilized. Realistically I am actually trying to break from using profanity which has been a serious challenge considering my blue collar and entertainment background. I have found that I am capable of being plenty profane without having to use foul language.

Lately I have been taking inventory of most of the aspects of my life, something I do from time to time. I am really evaluating the quality of the relationships with the people I am around these days. I find myself less than content with most, I think all of this started when I went to visit my old friends a while back. It seems that the current group of people I surround myself with is not building the kinds of memories that I need to make myself feel like I am "involved" in life. I am finally to a point that I can't hide behind my health issues anymore and I have been trying to get out more often. This has pointed me in the direction of considering an academic environment to spend some time around. I find that most of the conversations I have had recently are equally as satisfying as talking to my cat, it's a nice feeling for a bit but it doesn't last very long. I need an intellectual challenge and most of my friends can talk about sports all day long but give me that look if I try to get into something of substance.

With the holidays coming up, I am thinking that since prefer to travel to see family on the off schedule so that things aren't so nutty. This leaves me with some time off work that I need to find something to do. My twisted line of thinking is suggesting that I should present my friends within a reasonable difference with a contest to win me as a guest for the holidays. In theory it seems like a great idea but it actually doesn't work out too well since I typically don't enjoy sitting around with a bunch of people where I might know 2 or 3 while family dysfunctions play themselves out in front of me. Whichever way this plan for the holidays works out, I'm sure it will provide plenty of inspiration for me to get creative again soon. I am pretty sure I am boring you by this point so I'm going to close this post, get something to eat and prepare for a little late night work I must do.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with learning French, I've found that practice is essential to keeping up with a language. I have found though that it doesn't need to be practice speaking, i read a lot in the foreign languages I speak and that really helps for when I get the chance to speak the language.

    Interesting what you say about intellectual conversations, perhaps its something that as we get older is likely to be found outside academia?

    As for holiday visits, i always visit my parents before Christmas rather than for Christmas. This is a lot less stressful all round.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You never finish learning a language, even your own!

    There's a bit in a Jane Austen novel where the heroine, who is mousy and repressed and has been deprived of a chance of happiness, but who is actually a more intelligent and better person than most of those around her, is complaining to another character that the company in the town is tiresome and unsatisfying. He asks her what she would consider good company, and she gives him a reasonable list of what she would prefer and enjoy. He says, 'But that is not good company, that is the best.'

    I find living here that we've made friends who in some ways aren't the kind of people you'd necessarily seek out, and not always very satisfying company, but I'm glad they're around all the same, and if I can find enough other interests, including perhaps more kindred spirits on-line, all round a reasonable level of stimulus can be achieved! Looking for a way to study and meet some new people sounds good though, good luck!

    ReplyDelete