Monday, August 9, 2010

Sunday Nights

Sunday nights present a challenge to me. After having had some time over the weekend to allow my mind to shift into self directed, free flowing mode I find Sunday nights difficult to turn it off so I can start out a week feeling prepared. It's not quite to the level of mourning but I do resist having to shift my thinking processes back to the typical problem solving, logical, and professional grove for a few days. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the type of work I do but hoping from right brain to left brain to right brain at the frequency I have been trying to maintain is exhausting. So much so that I have decided to give the mosh pit of metaphors a bit of a break.

I am really enjoying the book by David Foster Wallace that I am reading A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again. His writing has helped me recognize when I am being abusive to my reader and even when I attempt to high jack the readers sensibility by creating an environment that delivers the reader to a place of self-confliction. I have also found that recognizing when these events are taking place puts the writer into the odd position of deciding whether to exploit the opportunity to molest the synapses of the reader without consent or to handle the situation with flowers and a box of chocolates.

Now for some fun ideas.

Wouldn't it be great if your pet could talk? Your best friend could express their unconditional love and admiration for you. The dog or cat could tell you when there is something wrong instead of you having to deduce through odd behaviors that it is time for a trip to the vet. Let us also look at another possibility that arises with the thought of a talking pet. Let's just think for a minute if your pet was the hit of the party you are having at your house. Everyone is amazed with the pet that talks and your pet begins doing its stand up routine and enjoying all of the attention. In the heat of the moment, you pet decides it would really be funny to tell something about you that it finds funny. This will require some reflecting on what kinds of activities your pet might be witness to. Just a suggestion that your pet knows things you wouldn't tell another person under any conditions. Maybe it's best they don't talk.

I can't imagine what my life would be like sans a furry companion. Pets are able to communicate with their owner in an empathetic way that is rare to achieve with another person. Cats are wonderfully affectionate especially if there is a potential for a treat. Dogs have a distinct advantage because it is extremely rare for your dog to judge your actions. Dogs are typically content just to see that look of approval in your eyes. I suppose a gold fish might not develop a bond with its owner but they can still provide a calming effect for the person that spends 20 minutes watching them swim. What a relationship we have developed with our companion species.

My good night wish is for all who read this to have a fabulous week. Thanks for stopping by.

1 comment:

  1. You're right it's a wonderful relationship and one I could not do without. Thanks for the lovely comment at mine.

    ReplyDelete